Saturday 3 October 2009


DELTA State-born dude, Kenny Ubah-Mills (Shai Guy), is titillating the entertainmanet scene with his hit tracks such as Omo Naija, Shake your body, among others. His mission, he says, is to promote social values. Unlike most artistes of his generation, whose songs are filled with lewd and profane messages, Shai Guy’s tracks are devoid of vulgarity, which make them appealing to a lot of people. He has performed in notable shows in Lagos and others. He speaks with DAMILOLA ADEKOYA on his music, fashion and style.
Definition of fashion
Fashion is part of ones personality and should be freely done to please oneself and not others.
Favourite piece of clothing
Jeans and T-shirt.
Favourite colours
Red, blue and orange.
Style of dressing
I love casuals.
Most cherished possession
God, He made me to survive all odds. He is the only hope.
What he won’t be caught wearing?
Pyjamas. It’s going to be really odd on me!
Most stylish icons
My most stylish icons are Usher, P-square and Faze.
Why he ventured into music
At the age of 12, I noticed I had a gift of being able to express myself in the midst of people. So, with the encouragement I got from people around me, I started miming songs — rap and R n B — before I gradually began to write mine. My songs are based on our cultural values. I also used it to express my life’s experience. I went professionally in 1999 and have performed in various clubs in Apapa and Surulere with artistes such as Baba Fryo. My music is designed to entertain, educate and disseminate value-laden messages.
His songs
I have a track titled Ki La Ma Se; it is appealing to the society at large and calls the government to listen to our cry. I also have a commercial song, which has a message that will make a great impact on the people.
Role models
Dbanj, because he sings with passion and inspiration, which makes him pull much crowd. P-square, because of his delivery and 9ice because he uses indigenous language in his songs. I also use Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa languages, too.
Challenges
To get people to listen to your music and to make them believe you can deliver.
The name Shai Guy
From childhood, I have been shy of mixing with the female folks, so, I thought of a name that would reflect that behaviour, and that was how I arrived at the name Shai Guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment